[Zeek-Dev] Zeek Supervisor Command-Line Client

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Tue Jun 30 14:29:12 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 6:35 AM Seth Hall <seth at corelight.com> wrote:

> I'm really starting to think that the business logic for
> correctly starting and stopping a cluster should be fully implemented in
> the supervisor script.  The zeekc tool could then just be a dumb tool
> that says to start and stop and doesn't end up causing us to spread our
> logic around to other tooling.

Maybe the important observation is that the logic can be performed
anywhere that has access to the Zeek-Supervisor process.

* The Supervisor process itself would be able to perform the logic via
direct BIF access.

* External processes, like zeekc, have access to a Zeek-event
interface to indirectly access those same BIFs, so they can also
execute equivalent logic (either via multiple events, or a single
"convenience" event that implements a sequence of BIF calls on remote)

When we bring multi-hosting into the mix, it's still a similar
situation, just with beefed up logic for orchestrating
node-type-specific steps across many peers: anyone with access to the
Zeek-event interface could implement this logic.  You could pick zeekc
to orchestrate, or you could pick a single Zeek-Supervisor process to
orchestrate between other Supervisors, or you could pick a regular
Zeek process, or you could write a Python script just using Broker
Python bindings, etc.

So where we put the logic at this point may not be important.  If we
can find a single-best-place for the logic to live, that's great, but
if there's utility for others to have their own
independent-yet-equivalent logic, I don't see a problem with that.

- Jon