some puzzles about the usage of bro

Ashley Thomas athomas at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri May 17 19:15:50 PDT 2002

>First of all if bro detect intrusion activity,what will it do?Write this
> intrusion activity to log or print real-time notification in the screen.

It is capable of doing both.
You can look look for *.log files in the same directory where bro
executable is there.

>So I am not sure if it is working !

If bro starts correctly it will print
listening on interface <eth0|eth1> ....

Are you getting this message ?

> Thirdly would you please give me a list of which type of intrusion can
>bro detect and the corresponding intrusion signature of each intrusion
activity
> bro can detect?

It can detect almost everything if you can write the signature /
analysis module into its policy scripts.

By default it detects common alerts like
- portscan
- land attack
- malicious fragments like (size < min_size)

etc
etc

You can get a lot of these information in the bro user manual
which comes along with the distribution...
You can look for it in the doc/ directory.

Hope that helps.

-ashley thomas