[Bro] broccoli tests

Mike Muratet mike.muratet at torchtechnologies.com
Mon Jun 6 15:08:16 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason R. Lee" <JRLee at lbl.gov>
Cc: "Bro List" <bro at bro-ids.org>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Bro] broccoli tests

> Mike,
>
> I usually just do this (my shell is bash):
> cd /usr/local/bro
> . etc/bro.cfg
> ./bro -i eth1 -i eth2 localhost.localdomain.bro
>
> The '. etc/bro.cfg' should set your $BROHOME and $BROPATH
> correctly to find all of the needed the files.
>
> The order the files load is that bro is invoked with a start
> file (in the above localhost.localdomain.bro). In that file (which is
> in $BROHOME/site)  there should be a couple  of lines like this at
> the top:
>
> ---------------- localhost.localdomain.bro ----------------------------
> @prefixes = local
> @load site      # file generated by the network script for dynamic config
>                    # of the local network subnets.
>
> # Make any changes to policy starting here
> -------------- end  --------------------------------------
>
> and the '@load site' will load the local.site.bro file from $BROHOME/site
> if your making changes, you should be making it to the
> 'localhost.localdoamin.bro'
> file (which really should be the name of your box (i.e.
> foo.example.com.bro).

I would cut the above out and paste it into the manual. I suspected it was
supposed to work this way but it's not clear. Specifically, there's nothing
in the manual that says how local files get called, and the bro_config
script apparently doesn't write the necessary lines into
localhost.localdomain.bro

The above procedure is failing with a 'can't open site' error.
local.site.bro is in $BROPATH. But at least it's something that can be
checked.

> If you don't have any network info in local.site.bro, bro will not be able
> tell which hosts are 'inside' the network, and which are 'outside' ;-)

Yes, and all other things being equal I think my problem lies in there
somewhere.

> Having said all this. If you see that bro is listening to 47758, i'm
> pretty sure
> that it has loaded the broccoli stuff.

Well, it did when I used broping.bro as my start policy. If I can figure out
what's going on with bro and the file system such that it can't find
local.site.bro, maybe I'll be on my way.

Cheers

Mike