[Bro] Seeking hardware/OS recommendations

Holger Dreger hdreger at net.in.tum.de
Mon Apr 10 05:51:40 PDT 2006

Am 07.04.2006 um 23:33 schrieb Joncarlo Ruggieri:
> We are looking at Sun Fire X4100 servers with our existing SK-9844
> cards
> for the "collector" systems.  However, it appears that we cannot run
> FreeBSD on the X4100 machines due a lack of support for the LSI SAS
> (serial attached SCSI) HBA.  So, we would instead keep RedHat.
>
> As an alternative, we could use Sun Fire X2100 servers with SK-9E92
> cards
> for the collectors, running FreeBSD, as long as these would provide
> sufficient performance.

We did some tests with the older Syskonnect SK-9843 V2.0 and we were
not happy with the FreeBSD support. Most features of the card could
not be used by the official driver. On the other hand there is a
brand new driver shipped by marvel for the Yukon chipset of the card.
We did not experiment with that yet.

Holger