[Bro] Stand-alone cluster problems

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Jun 12 16:02:40 PDT 2009

Hi Tyler,

a number of thoughts:

- increasing the BPF buffer sizes is definitly important and should
generally reduce drops.

- the top output shows that the Bro process is actually swapping out
memory to disk:

>   PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 51061 XXXXXX        1 -20    0  1207M   843M swread 1 606:53  0.00%

Once that happens, pretty much all bets are off regarding drops: the
I/O load will dominate everything else and Bro almost certainly drop
tons of packets.

- the stack backtrace shows a piece of code where we just found a
problem in the version checked into my branch, which has the
potential to cause drops with large tables. I can't tell whether
it's a coincidence or indeed causing trouble in your case. In any
case, I've committed a fix, please update your working copy and
recompile to see whether that makes any difference.

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 666-2886 * robin at icir.org