[Bro] cannot create working directory

Justin Azoff JAzoff at albany.edu
Fri May 24 14:03:15 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 04:16:36PM -0500, Richards, James L - DOA wrote:
> Our bro system stopped updating a bit ago, and when I go into the manager
> console and attempt to start things up, I get a cannot create working directory
> error messages for the nodes.

Have you tried this?

    broctl stop
    broctl cleanup
    broctl install
    broctl check
    broctl restart

Apparently that error comes from "mkdir -p" failing to make the spool
directory.

You can find what that is by running

    broctl config | grep spooldir

so for whatever reason it failing(or at least thinking it is failing) to
mkdir -p spooldir/worker-name. cleanup+install may fix things though (
unless you are really out of inodes)

broctl doesn't show stderr from the mkdir command, so logging into the
worker node and running mkdir -p manually might conclusively show why
this isn't working.

--
-- Justin Azoff
-- Network Security & Performance Analyst