[Bro] bro exchange 2013 intel exercises

scott mcallester scott at 0x4c.com
Sun May 18 22:39:57 PDT 2014

I'm trying to get the exercises from here
<http://www.bro.org/bro-exchange-2013/exercises/intel.html> going,

My intel.bro:
@load policy/frameworks/intel/seen
@load policy/frameworks/intel/do_notice

redef Intel::read_files += {
  fmt("%s/intel.dat", @DIR)
};

My intel.dat:
#fields    indicator    indicator_type    meta.source
fetchback.com        Intel::DOMAIN    my_special_source

I've double checked the tab spacing it all looks fine, but every time I
run this I receive this error:
bro -C -r exercise-traffic.pcap intel.bro
internal error: Value not found in enum mappimg. Module: GLOBAL, var: ,
var size: 0
Aborted (core dumped)

I also installed Bro 2.2 from source to my local machine(mint 13) and
get exactly the same error.
Any ideas?

And a follow up question for when I get this sorted:
If I have a txt file with a list of new-line separated IP's(~1500) from
malwaredomainlist.com, is this something the intel framework is suited
for? Or should I just stick to Snort's blacklist.rules or Suricata's
equivalent?

Scott