[Bro] How to build Bro on RH 67 (instructions)

erik clark philosnef at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:26:31 PDT 2016

Since RH67 does not support a c++11 compiler by default, you have to do
several things to build the PF_RING plugin, and bro itself. These are the
step by step instructions needed.

1. sudo rpm --import
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5x/x86_64/RPM-GPG-KEYs/RPM-GPG-KEY-cern

2. wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/slc6-devtoolset.repo
http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/cern/devtoolset/slc6-devtoolset.repo

3. sudo yum install devtoolset-2 (This is a LOT of packages, be prepared to
wait a while. This deployed something like 300 packages to my system)

4. Pull bro

5. export "CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/opt/rh/devtoolset-2/root/usr/bin/g++"

6. sh configure (with what you need)

7. make && make install

8. cd aux/plugins/pf_ring/build

9. mv CMakeCache.txt CMakeCache.txt.out

10. cd CMakeFiles && mv 2.8.12.2 2.8.12.2.out

11. cd ../../ && sh configure --with-pfring=$yourpfringhere

I was able to perform this repeatedly. You MUST compile all parts of this
with the devtoolset, or you will get segfaults and all sorts of things.
This means I had to build pfring, geoip pe_xor with the devtoolset before I
could build bro.

Note: Shamelessly stole two steps from
https://gist.github.com/stephenturner/e3bc5cfacc2dc67eca8b for installing
devtoolset-2.