[Bro] BRO CRON JOBS and LogExpire Interval

Daniel Thayer dnthayer at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 10 23:24:00 PDT 2018

On 9/10/18 9:58 PM, Ludwig Goon wrote:
> BRO cron jobs in broctl.
>

> 1. Is there a way to see the current/ scheduled cronjobs with "broctl
> cron" ? Is there a flag or something that I should use on the command
> like the icream commercail featuring her.

Normally, you wouldn't need to run "broctl cron" directly, but
instead you would create a cron job (using the "crontab" command),
and the cron job would run "broctl cron".

The "broctl cron" command is explained in the documentation:
https://www.bro.org/sphinx/components/broctl/README.html

> 2. I have a bro sensor that has been up for over 200 days. I want to
> invoke the logExpireInterval which was not set before.
>
> 2a.  What is the correct way to specify 180 days? is it
> LogExpireInterval = 180, OR LogExpireInterval = 180 day or
> LogExpireInterval = 180 Days?

Look for "LogExpireInterval" in the documentation:
https://www.bro.org/sphinx/components/broctl/README.html#user-options

> 3. Once I get that configured in broctl.cfg, I run either a broctl
> deploy command or a broctl install command. Will bro clean up all the
> log directories that are older thatn 180 days?

Yes, but bro itself doesn't delete the logs, they will
be removed the next time your cron job runs.