[Zeek] Kafka plugin causes logger to segfault

Weasel, Gary W CIV DISA RE (US) gary.w.weasel2.civ at mail.mil
Mon Apr 22 08:10:26 PDT 2019

All,

I'm currently at my wits end dealing with the Kafka plugin, I'm having great difficulty stopping it from crashing.

When I use the library of librdkafka as prescribed from https://packages.zeek.org/packages/view/7388aa77-4fb7-11e8-88be-0a645a3f3086 (librdkafka-0.11.5), my logger crashes immediately after startup.  When using an alternative version of librdkafka (librdkakfa1-0.11.4_confluent4.1.3) the logger doesn't immediately crash but within a minute of starting it usually does.

The stderr.log says the same every time, /run-bro: line 110: <pid> Segmentation fault   nohup "$mybro" "$@"

I have downloaded the most recent version of https://github.com/apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka and still experience this.

I am building an RPM (running CentOS) for the Kafka plugin and installing that way, since the box is offline and unable to reach bro-packages.  When I tried to use librdkafka-0.11.5 I've also built an RPM for that.

The following is my only added configuration

@load Apache/Kafka/logs-to-kafka.bro
redef Kafka::logs_to_send = set(Conn::LOG);
redef Kafka::kafka_conf = table(
        ["metadata.broker.list"] = "172.16.0.40.9092"
);
redef Kafka::topic_name = "bro";
redef Kafka::tag_json = T;

The interesting thing to note: the logger does not crash if no logs are being sent (i.e. I comment out the logs_to_send line).

The only other plugins I'm running are Bro::AF_Packet and Corelight::CommunityID.

Anyone have any insight or doing something different?

v/r
Gary