[Xorp-hackers] Configuration managment ....

Timothy Griffin Timothy.Griffin@cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:24:11 +0100

Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org> wrote:

> Why aren't people doing this more widely? I would like to see firm figures
> for resource consumption by MySQL on embedded targets.
>
> Has anyone tried running MySQL on a machine without an MMU, for example?
>
> Surely if one wishes to go the SQL route, SQLite would be more appropriate
> for embedded targets?
>
> The code footprint given for SQLite on the web page is a typical ~250KB
> on x86 for gcc, this doesn't say anything about the run-time memory
> footprint, and I would imagine with better compilers it could get smaller.

these are interesting points. but i think they raise issues with the entire
design philosophy of xorp, not just with using mysql for config storage.
do xorp design goals really include the ability to run on boxes without virtual memory?
to have a small code footprint?  i've always thought of xorp's principle goals
as being flexibility/extensibility/modularity. so it seems that using an
off-the-shelf, and widely used, open-source data storage system
fits very well with those goals...