[Xorp-users] connection to bgpd

Atanu Ghosh atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:07:34 -0700

As a XORP router is composed of a number of processes we have a
mechanism for monitoring processes. Our IPC system monitors all processes
that register with it. Any process can be notified of the birth and
death events of any other process. I believe this is implemented with a
TCP connection.

One example of how this is used can be found in
bgp/process_watch.cc. The XORP BGP process registers interest in the FEA
,RIB and snmp process (if this exists BGP will send events to it). If
the FEA or RIB dies then BGP will shutdown.

As your process, lets call it N is using XRLs it will be registered with
the system. Therefore you could register interest in N and just take
whatever action you deem appropriate on birth/death events.

	 Atanu.