[Xorp-users] Simulating multiple routers on a single platform

Chan, Norbert Norbert.Chan@gdcanada.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 10:51:47 -0600

Hi all,

I am in the process of planning a lab setup where I am interested in simulating the behavior of 100 routers. Due to equipment and financial constraints, I may only be able to purchase 10 routers and computers. Does anyone have any experience in being able to have a computer (running XORP) act like 10 routers? In other words, I have software  code for one router, but would like to have the ability to provide a network of 10 routers (say, with only a couple of routers). I am interested in the clustering behavior of large nodes, but setting up 100 nodes is arduous and expensive. An alternate solution is to find a tool that generates exactly the traffic from each and every node but that is extremely difficult without knowing the individual router characteristics.

If anyone has any ideas or references, I would appreciate it. I'm a newcomer to this forum, so I hope my question is directed to the right area.

Regards

Norbert Chan
Systems Engineer
General Dynamics Canada

The information contained in this e-mail message is PRIVATE. It may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this communication is strictly prohibited. If the intended recipient(s) cannot be reached or if a transmission problem has occurred, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and destroy all copies of this message.
Thank you.