[Xorp-users] How to work with a bridge (br0)? (corrected version)

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:08:27 -0800

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 04:45:34PM -0800, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > Do you see the crashes (coredumps?) during normal operation or only
> > when you use Ctrl-C?
>
> I have no coredumps, sorry. Xorp stops working in the middle of
> operation (after some configuration changes, but not directly after
> that).

Please send the log messages, because it is still not clear to me
what exactly is happening.

> > The MFC entries look fine (I presume that eth0 is the interface
> > toward your source). It seems that the special register_vif is
> > the only oif. This is normal, and all data packets will be
> > encapsulated and unicast inside PIM Register messages to the RP.
> > Once the RP receives the Registers, it will decapsulate them and
> > send them natively (multicast) downstream to all receivers.
>
> Here might be the problem. I was told sending data outside the
> university, perhaps including this encapsulated format, is bad and makes
> problems. I was told something about wrong routes with multicast and so
> on. So a local solution would be fine :)

Are you part of your university PIM-SM domain or are you outside of
it? If the former, then all PIM-SM routers MUST share the same
RP-Set. Then, assuming your XORP router is not a Cand-RP for the
particular multicast group you are interested at, you have to rely
on the good will of the university's RP to accept and forward the
multicast traffic originated by your source.

> > Only if there is PIM Join message (or IGMP Join message) received on
> > eth1, then the XORP router should forward the data packets on eth1.
>
> There was, but no data has been received.

If you see PIM Join messages for your sender's group coming on eth1,
then eth1 should have been added to the oif set. This is when you
need to look into the "show pim join" output to verify that. Note
that inside those Join messages the upstream-neighbor (from the
tcpdump output) should be your XORP router's address, otherwise
those Joins are for some other PIM-SM router on the shared LAN.

Pavlin