[Xorp-users] Interfaces all going "down"

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:11:19 -0800

> My XORP box has disabled all interfaces again
> at the XORP level although all fine at Linux/ifconfig level.

<DEL>

> > what is the output of "show interfaces", "show mfea interface" and
> > "show igmp interface" xorpsh commands?
>
> I ran those plus a few other things...
> Here's the output

<DEL>

> xorp@trollope.dcs.aber.ac.uk> show pim interface
> Interface    State    Mode   V PIMstate Priority DRaddr          Neighbors
> discard0     DISABLED Sparse 2 DR              1 127.127.0.1             0
> eth1         DOWN     Sparse 2 NotDR           1 0.0.0.0                 0
> eth2         DOWN     Sparse 2 NotDR           1 0.0.0.0                 0
> eth3         DOWN     Sparse 2 NotDR           1 0.0.0.0                 0
> eth4         DOWN     Sparse 2 NotDR           1 0.0.0.0                 0
> register_vif DOWN     Sparse 2 DR              1 0.0.0.0                 0
> xorp@trollope.dcs.aber.ac.uk> show interfaces
>
> Command interrupted!
>
> xorp@trollope.dcs.aber.ac.uk> show mfea interface
> Error: 201 Resolve failed
> ERROR: Command "/usr/local/xorp/cli/tools/send_cli_processor_xrl": exited with exit status 1.
> xorp@trollope.dcs.aber.ac.uk> show igmp interface
>                                    ^
> syntax error, expecting <command>.
> xorp@trollope.dcs.aber.ac.uk> show ?
> Possible completions:
>   host            Display information about the host
>   interfaces      Show network interface information
>   mfea            Display information about IPv4 MFEA
>   pim             Display information about IPv4 PIM
>   route           Show routes
> xorp@trollope.dcs.aber.ac.uk>
>
> The "show interfaces" hung for an hour with no output
> at all!

It appears that the xorp_igmp process has died (confirmed by
your "ps" output), and the xorp_fea process is in funny state if it
doesn't respond to "show interfaces" and "show mfea interface".
My best guess so far is that something went wrong with the xorp_fea
process so it doesn't communicate properly with other processes.
The disappearance of the xorp_igmp process may be related to this.
The "show mfea interface" doesn't work, because the MFEA itself is
part of the FEA process.

I presume now you have enabled the log messages, so lets hope they
will give us some useful info next time you have the same
problem. Also, next time please include the output of "ps -auxww",
because it includes more info like the particular state of each
process.

Pavlin

P.S. Your configuration seems fine.