[Xorp-users] Problem with scons build in xorp 1.7-WIP

Bruce Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Mon Sep 28 02:31:33 PDT 2009

J.T. Conklin wrote:
> I think the difference is that your native host development tools
> include the openssl headers and libraries, while your cross tools
> do not.  Since openssl is a prerequisite, you'll need to build or
> otherwise obtain openssl for your cross target, only after that
> will you be able to build XORP.

    There are only 4 places in the code base where MD5 is used: the
Router Manager, RIP's auth support, OSPF's auth support, and the HMAC
codes generated for Finder XRL messages. We don't use TLS, SSL or any of
the stream ciphers directly -- just MD5.

    Because MD5 is 'commodity', it pops up in lots of places. FreeBSD,
for example, ships it in the base system in 'libmd.so'.
    How this link requirement normally gets satisfied in XORP, is to
link against OpenSSL's libcrypto. These are the only places where we
actually need to pull in an external crypto library.
    We could just put the object in libxorp and ship it directly,
although this duplicates code which folk would likely have present on a
router node anyway, and only marginally makes life easier for folk who
are attempting to cross-compile the code.

    There are so many frameworks for cross-compiling open source
packages out there, that supporting them directly isn't realistic with
the resources we have; at the end of the day, folk are best off
directing questions about cross-compilation to groups more familiar with
the environment they're trying to use for this, but we'll try to provide
general advice where we can.

    Of course, if folk find issues with embedded use, specific to the
XORP code base (e.g. problems on strong alignment architectures), please
do send us a patch if possible. There are a few known culprits for this
in the tree.

cheers,
BMS