[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Sat Jun 4 14:23:40 PDT 2016

> On Jun 4, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> The primary way we've used "plugin" so far is as a compiled,
> binary extension.

I'm not sure we all have or that the project has used it consistently in that way. It is new enough to Bro I'm not bothered if we shift it slightly. To me, the important part of a the definition of a plugin for most software is that it is an externally contributed, self/contained add-on which extends functionality. Binary or compiled don't seem very important to the definition.

Module, extension, package, bundle, add-on, plugin, bag, etc.; whatever we pick long term users will acclimate. I am more concerned new users or creating confusion in our documentation.