[Bro] Redux - source build on OpenBSD (5.3) and BIND libs

Darren Spruell phatbuckett at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 23:22:42 PDT 2013

Very nice.

I completed install in very similar manner, although things appeared
to work without requiring CFLAGS to be set for the configure script;
my built completed with:

./configure --with-bind=/opt/libbind
gmake; gmake install

That said, I do notice that when invoking some bro commands I get the
following output about symbol size mismatches:

$ bro --help
bro:/usr/lib/libc.so.66.2: bro : WARNING: symbol(__p_class_syms) size
mismatch, relink your program
bro:/usr/lib/libc.so.66.2: bro : WARNING: symbol(_res) size mismatch,
relink your program
bro:/usr/lib/libc.so.66.2: bro : WARNING: symbol(__p_type_syms) size
mismatch, relink your program
bro version 2.1
[...]

I can see this has been encountered several times over the years:

(2003) http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.detection.bro/222
(2006) http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.detection.bro/1382
(2007) http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.detection.bro/1890
(2008) http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.ports/18520
(2012) http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.detection.bro/4254

Someone suggested it was related to issue between libbind and libc
resolver routines. Anyone know more?

--
Darren Spruell
phatbuckett at gmail.com